Dream: I serve in a pastoral position and in my dream I was helping people in a church setting. A friend shoots me twice, leaving me immobilized. I’m not worried about myself as I’m more concerned for the welfare of those entrusted to me. I’m shocked and in disbelief, more than hurt about what she has done to me. I can’t move and the same person comes and steps on my neck. I hear the cracking. I feel it carries a spiritual meaning.
DreamsMaster: I understand why this dream is so troubling to you. If you feel it carries a spiritual meaning, then begin by trusting this intuition. Here are some ideas for you to consider.
First, I have some clarifying questions:
– Is this friend in the dream a trusted friend in your waking world? Is she also a member of your church community?
– In the dream, where does she shoot you? In the back? The chest? The stomach?
– What is your friend’s emotional state in the dream? Cold? Angry? Hysterical?
– At the beginning of the dream you’re helping people in a church setting. What type of help are you administering to them?
– After you’re shot and immobilized, you’re more worried about them than yourself. How are they at risk?
Next, let’s look at possible dream themes. These are a couple that come to me:
– Someone you thought trustworthy betrayed you.
– While giving of yourself to others, you suffer gravely.
There are a number of symbols for you to consider as well. What they mean is for you to determine, but here’s what they would mean to me if it were my dream…
– Church = community
– Friend = could represent the actual person in my life, or it could represent a part of myself that I’ve identified with that friend.
– Shoots twice = determined to end life, to hit the mark.
– Immobilized = unable to protect or defend others or myself.
– Neck = lifeline between the head and the heart.
As you’re reading through all of this, are you getting a sense of the dream’s message? Only you can determine the dream’s true meaning (and it may have several layers of meaning), but from my perspective, I think it may be a warning that by giving so much to others, you may be putting your own health and well-being at risk. That said, I’d still keep a watchful eye on that friend, in case your intuition is sensing she doesn’t necessarily have your best interest at heart.